Sunday, November 12, 2006

Lightning Strike !

Kapow !
Yesterday was one of those days where you just know there is going to be a fire somewhere and there was. The day started off with no power as a storm had come through and taken that away so we meandered around until about 9am when it returned. We then headed off in the truck to take a load of barley to the silos and we saw smoke to the South. We thought "hmmm, maybe we should head home". We called into the neighbours house as they were reaping there and asked what they knew about the fire. It was South of Lincoln and had started by lighning stricke the night before so we continued on our journey. On the way home, we stopped (like all good rubberneckers do) and looked at the smoke in the distance. It was a warm and very windy day.

Later in the afternoon, a storm emerged. Great for dampening the fire. But (she says) with the storm came more lightning and I spotted my first lightning fire strike yesterday and it spooked me a little. The Girl freaked as we could see the flames. it was weird, you see the lightning hit the ground, then a small orange glow (which makes you think, is it or isnt it) then the confirmation as it grows and shoots up the hill. It was pretty much over before it began but it still scared me. I went to get my camera to take a shot but, it was out before I could get to it. I reckon it would have been about 8-10 kms South of us.

and then..... We had an almighty magnificent thunderstorm and it was b e a utiful (for those of you who have seen Bruce Almighty, that's how Jim Carrey says beautiful). It took out the power again at about 10pm ish and we just layed in bed (the 3 of us) and watched the sky light up purple like someone was throwing lightning bolts willy nilly into the night. Spectacliar (I know it should be spectacular but I like the way I say it, like binocliars another of my idosyncrasises).

All of the seasons in one day.

No comments: