Thursday, August 09, 2007

Click go the shears (sorry, that's not very original)

Well, today we (I mean Bullet) crutched 82 sheep (for those of you that don't know what crutching is, it's shearing the wool off their bums. They are getting the full monty in September. Well Bullet was just going to do the ones that had daggy bums but I suggested that he might as well do them all, and the silly bugger did ! He was knackered by the end. I wont embarrass him by giving you the time/amount of sheep crutched because a) he isn't 18 anymore, b) he's not a shearer, c) he's not even 28 anymore, d) he did a great job. I was on the broom and swept up the crutchings and bagged them. I also got the job of moving them round in the pens, chasing them up the race and pushing them out of the shed (when they needed it).

Later on that day, we chased up the lambs (25) and put rings on their tails and the boys had their nuts ringed - I will embarrass myself here as I think they're callled lacerator rings, but I've heard them called lasterator rings - anyway, their tails and whoopsies will fall off sooner or later. I caught about 5 (refer previous story about me catching things) and held them while Bullet did the deed (Oh, and we also drenched them (worm medicine I think) and ear tagged them) but I am obviously not cut out for that role so I got brave and put the rings on the tails and drenched them but was a but dubious about nutting the poor little fellas so Bullet did that and gave them earrings. Tori was the drench holder and did a great job too. Who would have thought hey ?


Footnote: When Bullet sheared Ruby's Mum today (refer "we are with lamb" and "goodbye, ruby tuesday") we realised that her lambs would never have survived with her. A previous shearing session (who knows how long ago) had resulted in one of her nipples being shorn off - OW!, and the other was blocked, maybe suffering from mastitis. Poor bugger.

He finally finished and was buggered. I think a few times he mentioned that he wasn't 18 anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to clap my hands for Bullet, a job well done by the sounds!! Oh by the way your photo is just great, Jay and I are stunned we keep checking back to see that our eyes have fooled us, YOU ARE LOOKING GREAT!! Mwa

Anonymous said...

Steve is more than impressed that Bullet did as much as he did with the sheep and lambs. Bravo!!!