Sunday, July 29, 2007

We are with lamb


Upon arriving home from an overnight trip we checked for chicken eggs and Tori yelled, there's a lamb crying. So over to the fence to discover a wee lambie crying it's little lungs out and in the distance, a mother searching for it. I had to think quick, should I take this little one inside or leave it to find mum? Big decision but made pretty easy when I did notice that it was having trouble feeding from Mum on Friday and looked all forlorn and in need of some nourishment not to mention it was starting to rain and did so for quite some time last night. . The decision was final. I chased her for a few metres (just to catch her properly, if you've ever had the pleasure of watching me try to catch anything, I need to make sure I get a good grip so as not to traumatise the animal and let it get away so it will never come near me again - pretty useless at that kinda thing), and scooped it into my arms, gave it to Tori to nurse while I juggled driving and 11 eggs in my pockets. We took the wee one inside and proceeded to make up some lamb milk (there was already a failed attempt at reviving a lamb whilst I was onKangaroo Island so a little knowledge was going to help us with the strength of the mixture and the resulting output - might have been too rich for the last lamb) and trying out various teats for suitability. We finally decided on a baby's bottle and a regular teat with a little more of a hole in it and it took down 150 odd ml. Success. The little one later on decided to wee and then we discovered that we had a little girl on our hands. Sweet little thing. We all slept in the loungeroom last night and did a midnight feed and I was woken at 5am but that was just for a wee break and then she went back to sleep. She had almost a full bottle this morning (250ml) and we are still on half solution so as not to wreak havoc with her stomach and if she doesn't develop scour (that is what Bullet calls (and I can never spell this word but you will get what I mean) diahorrea) I may up the dosage to 75% and see how we go from there. So as I wash towels this morning and go back to not sterilising bottles in solution but certainly cleaning them with soapy water and rinsing in boiling water, my hands have become dry and very sore from being in so much water lately (the dishwasher has malfunctioned as well so have been handwashing them, must get some gloves to save my hands from cracking and bleeding - damn water and cold winter weather does it every single year.
More updates soon......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a better result than Bullet. That will show him your true farming skills. Sure is cute!
Emma