Monday, November 01, 2004

Natterings of the Nutter down by the Sea

Howdy folks
Been a while between letters ! I've been back and forward to the big smoke for training and will be going to Melbourne next week ! Been at OD for 15+ years and travelled probably 3 times for business and been on zero business dinners. I've been here for what seems like 3 minutes and have already attended 2 trips (with the Melbourne one coming up next week) and will be attending a business dinner for the Agents training in two weeks time. It also looks like I will do a bit of local travelling as well to acquaint myself and the new boss with the Agents around the Eyre Peninsula. I only wish that they could find some way of holding a training session in the provinces of Italy ! One can only dream.
Well, this is what I have been up to lately...
At home, I have been playing lots on my ride on mower and managed to wrap some rusty old barbed wire (hidden beneath the long grass) around the shaft of the mower - I didn't discover this until the next day. As I was in long, dry grass and the mower started to smoke, I thought it a good idea to high-tail it out of there and limp her back to the shed. Along the way I tried again to engage the mower blades but eveytime I did this, she was smoking. I was a bit worried at this time as I had NOOOOOOOOOOOOO idea what to do next, and what do women do when they are struck with this kind of situation you ask ? They drive it into the shed and hope it fixes itself. Well readers, this was not about to happen as I am the only one here and it had to be fixed ! So, being ingenious, I backed one side of the mower onto a couple of planks of wood to raise it and check what was caught, I had discovered the barbed wire as I walked up to the shed as it was obviously poking out from under the mower. So down I went, onto the starling manured floor (with my white shirt on) and proceeded to pry this rusty barbed wire from the shaft. Was pretty easy really, and much to my surprise, rolling over the ground, my white shirt remained spotless - it's a miracle ! So, with that job out of the way, I got back on and a mowing I went again.
Been doing a bit of decorating as well. The tiles in the kitchen were, lets put it simply, REVOLTING ! They were a fully patterned tile (white background with a bronze/green 1970's pattern) mind you they went especially well with the 2 inch X 1 inch yellow tiled bench top (grouted with black grout !) - get the picture. So, I used a tile paint (had to wash them first, prime them and then go over with the solvent based paint - not very environmentally friendly and it did stink A LOT !) and painted them a nice white. They came up pretty good but a stark contrast with the yellow bench top. During the last Adelaide trip, I convinced the boys to go to Bunnings Hardware, (wasn't hard really, bit like asking me if I would like a beer) and found some transfers that could go onto the tiles. Was having a bit of trouble deciding on a pattern because I was looking for a more random effect rather than geometric lines so I got onto my computer and worked it out that way. Prior to that I was just sticky taping them to the tiles and moving them around - TOO HARD.
I would take all the flies in OD from you and you could have the midges in return. They are like black hundreds and thousands and they bite you and to top it all off, they urinate on you after they had administered their bite - lovely little creatures. I am telling you about this as they are similar to mosquito bites BUT MUCH WORSE !!! I have sensitive skin (don't laugh !) and they itch for days, first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and several times during the day when they feel like it. Apart from the itching, they burn, from the inside ! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH !!! and by the way, the chemists are so helpful here NOT ! I did manage to get a product that is similar to calamine lotion with antiseptic and anaesthetic and that seems to take the edge off it but I am going to try an oral vitamin that apparently repels them by emitting "something" from my skin. I'll probably stink like a pole cat and no one will want to go near me ! If anyone has any remedies, I'm willing to try them - and the one that involves baby oil and dettol, tried it to no avail.
This is enough for today as I know how busy you all are and would be lucky to read the first line before you are rudely interrupted for something trivial as work ! How dare they.
I am well and enjoying Lincoln (when I am here), and meeting people every day. Although I am finding that this place is a little weird - can't explain it at the moment, but when I work it out, I'll be sure to let you know.
Take care all and keep smiling
Miss everyone heaps.
I can't wait for the family to move here as I am getting sick of talking to myself - I don't hold a very good conversation ! My roses probably wish that too !
Oh, I forgot, I saw a Kookaburra in my trees late yesterday - the closest I have seen them ! Woo Hoo !

No comments: